Opportunity Starts Here
J. Morrissey & Company can help you find a job and achieve your goals.
Associate VP Clin Business Services
263 Farmington Avenue MC-5330 Farmington, CT 06030
J. Morrissey & Company has been retained for the executive search for an Associate Vice President of Clinical Business Services to serve as the leader over all patient financial services at an area academic health center. This role is responsible for creating a culture that delivers cohesive, patient/family-centered, high quality and efficient support to healthcare.
Reporting to the Chief Clinical Revenue Cycle Officer, the AVP, Clinical Business Services, is responsible for the oversight and management of all patient financial services for hospital and professional billing. Possessing a high level of discretion and judgment, the AVP serves as an advisor to the department management, Clinical Chairs, and health center leadership on matters related to reimbursement, charge capture, profitability and impact on revenue cycle. The AVP works collaboratively with accounting, revenue integrity, decision support and the compliance office to ensure proper billing, charging, costing, and financial statement representation of clinical services
- Through extensive analysis of data, observations of clinical workflow, and in consultation with leaders, identify opportunities to ensure 100% capture of all hospital billable services while concentrating on expense reductions and/or redundancies.
- Work collaboratively with IT leadership and decision support staff on any information system changes necessary to maintain and improve the appropriateness of third party contractual allowance calculations.
- Provide analysis and reporting for revenue cycle performance in key metrics including billing, collections and accounts receivable results and provide trends to health center leadership. Identify and implement appropriate interventions based on these metrics and in alignment with industry best practices.
- Provides business intelligence and supervisory oversight of all clinical business services.
- Responsible for goal setting and management of the staff assigned to clinical business services including but not limited to patient financial services, cash collections, and single billing office.
- Function as the leader and resource for department chairs, providers, clinical department staff, and health center leadership on topics related to the feasibility and charging for hospital services.
MAJOR REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor’ s degree in business, accounting, health administration, and a minimum of 10 years in finance or revenue management in a hospital environment, required, Master' s Degree preferred.
- Ability to analyze data, systems and procedures for opportunities involving quality or process improvements and education and make recommendations in both a visual and verbal executive presentation.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with an exemplary customer service approach to business interactions.
- Ability to read, analyze, interpret, summarize, present and implement technical procedures, financial reports, governmental regulations and guidelines. Develop clear conclusions and summarize findings for non-financial leaders.
- Thorough knowledge of federal and state billing rules and regulations, fraud and abuse legislation, billing compliance, HIPAA privacy and security regulations, and risk management. Solid knowledge of medical billing compliance rules, including those for academic institutions, e.g. teaching physician documentation guidelines with special attention on government payer regulatory and coverage guidelines.
- Expert knowledge of hospital operations management, patient financial services and revenue integrity required.
- Considerable knowledge of benchmarking products, computer networks, and operations, including EPIC, electronic health records with the ability to act as the liaison between i/t, billing, and decision support
Donna McCarty, CPC
Senior Vice President & CAO
Donna R. McCarty, CPC has over 30 years of experience in the healthcare industry within Connecticut and nationally. Donna has been associated with area hospitals, a health maintenance organization and a national home infusion therapy company. In these settings, she had the opportunity to be involved in every facet of healthcare, primarily in financial and administrative capacities.
As Senior Vice President & CAO, Donna performs executive searches for leadership roles in healthcare and non-profit organizations. She is also responsible for compliance, contracting, education, public relations, and on-boarding of new employees at J. Morrissey.
Donna’s community involvement includes a longstanding relationship with Prevent Blindness Connecticut. She has served two terms as board chair, was the 1998 recipient of the Robert and Joyce Polk Award for distinguished service, and the 2001 recipient of the Cincinatus Award for outstanding service and dedication. She was also the past president and founder of the Greater Hartford Chapter of the Quinnipiac University Alumni Association and was a member of the Quinnipiac University National Alumni Board of Governors for 18 years. Donna has also served as past president of the Connecticut Women in Health Care Management, served on the UCONN Health Care Management Advisory Board for the university’s undergraduate and graduate health care programs, and The Hartford Courant CareerbuilderRx Advisory Board. Most recently, she was co-chair for Relay For Life in Plainville, CT in 2008-2010. Donna was a founder and president of Women Executives in Healthcare until 2016.
Donna is a 1990 cum laude graduate of Quinnipiac University with a Bachelor of Science degree in Health Management.