Opportunity Starts Here
J. Morrissey & Company can help you find a job and achieve your goals.
8 Two Mile Road Farmington, CT 06032
Our client is seeking a talented Senior Accountant for a leading manufacturing and distribution company in Farmington, CT. Reporting to the Financial Controller, the selected candidate will be responsible for contributing to the business finance function and maintaining complete General Ledger responsibilities for the business. A successful candidate will be an energetic, organized, team player with a proven track record and ability to adapt quickly in a changing environment, multitask effectively, and work independently.
This position reports and works closely with the Financial Controller. Responsible for support of the general ledger and accounting functions, recognition of recurring and one-time accruals, maintaining monthly schedules, providing support for payroll and accounts payable activities, and performance of reconciliations.
- Prepare journal entries and compile auditable documentation.
- Conduct complex general ledger account reconciliations per organizational policy.
- Respond to queries from state and local tax authorities and recommend appropriate course of action needed to resolve issues.
- Coordinated preparation of tax filings, including Sales and Property Tax returns, with external tax accountants.
- Maintain accounting desktop procedures for areas of responsibility and ensure compliance with accounting policies and procedures, and regulatory requirements.
- Take active role in streamlining existing processes, improve efficiencies, and heighten controls around financial reporting.
- Assist in documentation and monitoring of internal controls.
- Support enterprise-wide initiatives and assist in special projects, including system upgrades, and ERP system implementation.
- Contribute to the efficiency of the accounting group by training and mentoring junior accountants, participating in cross training, and serving as position backup for other team members.
- Support tax filings and the external audit of company’ s financial statements, prepare audit schedules, and respond to auditor queries.
- Prepare internal reports for Management to help track and evaluate business performance.
- Perform ad hoc projects including M&A activities as requested by the VP of Finance or Financial Controller.
- Minimum of 4-6 years of related work experience, some public accounting experience preferred.
- Strong written and oral communication and ability to communicate effectively across all levels of staff inside and outside the department and organization.
- Ability to prioritize projects, analyze and streamline processes, and leverage off of available tools and technologies to effectively and efficiently complete tasks.
- High attention to detail.
- Bachelors’ degree in Accounting or Finance required.
- Master’ s degree in Accounting or Finance a plus.
- CPA or CMA certifications a plus.
- Proficient with major ERP systems including QuickBooks, advanced Excel skills and willingness to learn other software packages as needed.
Erik Morrissey, CPA
Vice President, Accounting & Financial Services
Erik J. Morrissey, CPA, leads our Accounting and Finance Group, focusing on direct hire placements across all industries. Erik is responsible for representing top talented accounting and finance professionals at all levels of their careers.
Prior to joining J. Morrissey, Erik was an Experienced Audit Senior with CohnReznick LLP and worked with clients in manufacturing, distribution, healthcare, professional services, educational, and not-for-profit. As lead auditor on his engagements, he was able to learn various management styles and organizational structures which allows him to better understand the true needs of his clients as a recruiter. His knowledge of the accounting industry enables him to communicate effectively with his candidates to ensure the right fit for both parties.
Erik is actively involved in the Cherish the Children Foundation; serves on the Board of the Windsor Chamber of Commerce as Vice President – Community Relations; serves on the CTCPA Golf Tournament Interest Group and the CTCPA Future Professional Accountant Committee; Serves on the Bushnell Young Professionals Advisory Group and on the Post University Accounting Advisory Board.
Erik is also a member of the Healthcare Financial Management Association, Greater New Haven Chamber of Commerce and Glastonbury Hills Country Club.
Erik obtained his Bachelor’s degree in Accounting from Bryant University in Smithfield, Rhode Island. He also has his Master’s Degree in Accounting from Post University and is a Certified Public Accountant.